TVO’s TeachOntario Team is thrilled to support KNAER’s Communities of Practice. TeachOntario is an award-winning online community to support sharing, collaboration and knowledge exchange amongst educators across Ontario. TeachOntario was created by TVO, in partnership with the Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF), its Affiliates and the Ministry of Education (EDU), and in consultation with teachers from a variety of districts across the province. A unique destination for teachers created “For Ontario’s Educators, By Ontario’s Educators,” TeachOntario’s purpose is to serve and celebrate Ontario educators for the broader benefit of Ontario’s students.
TeachOntario offers the unique opportunity to:
- Support teacher professional learning
- Foster teacher leadership
- Facilitate the sharing of exemplary practices with others
Ontario educators with a Board of Education email address may register with their their EDU, school district (TDSB, YCDSB, etc.), or faculty of education (WU, UofT, etc.) email address to register. They can then log in to follow other educators, create blogs, discussions, documents, upload pictures, videos and files and start groups based on subject matter, grade or interest.
Click here for more information about TeachOntario.
How TeachOntario Can Support You
The plan is for each of the four communities of practice to have a space built on TeachOntario (on the public side of the site), all housed under one Math Knowledge Network hub. We have already built one of those COP spaces for Computational Thinking which you can check out here.
Here’s a diagram of how the four CoPs might flow from the Explore section:
We look forward to supporting you, and here are some steps to help us get the ball rolling:
- Tell Us About Your Project by filling in this questionnaire
- Register onto TeachOntario and establish a Sandbox Group for your CoP to play.
- For a walk through of the process of creating your own TeachOntario account, see: Information for CoP Leaders or Course Facilitators on Creating their Own TeachOntario Accounts and Getting Sandbox Groups Started
- Start thinking about your hub on TeachOntario
- It’s completely up to you what you would like to feature/do with your space. To help you get some ideas, it might be a good idea to check out this slideshow of past designs we’ve done for other groups like yours.
- For tips, see: When You’re Ready to Start Working on Your Hub in Explore