Upcoming PD Sessions:
- June 7 & 8, 2022: Indigenous Knowledge
- June 7, 2022: Critical Transitions in Early Math
- June 16, 2022: Computational Modelling
- TBA: Mathematics Leadership
Professional Development Series from the MKN Communities of Practice – Facilitation Guides & Recordings!
- August 22, 2022: Canadian Early Mathematics Education Conference, hosted by the Critical Transitions CoP
Year 3 (Sept 2018-Aug 2019)
- May 2019: Two Webinars by Andy diSessa (Berkeley) on Computational Literacy and on AI in Education; Corey Professor of Education Andrea diSessa is a member of the National Academy of Education. His research centers around conceptual and experiential knowledge in physics, and principles for designing flexible and comprehensible computer systems.
- April 2019: Indigenous Knowledge: The Youth Gathering & NASA Workshop; The Indigenous Knowledge and Mathematics CoP organized two workshops in April 2019. The Youth Gathering + Knowledge Sharing Exchange focused on how Indigenous knowledge can inform and enhance the understanding of mathematics, astronomy and our cosmology. NASA’s Goddard Media Studios worked with the Indigenous Knowledge and Mathematics CoP to co-create a resource based on Indigenous Knowledge, astronomy, and cosmology with connections to mathematics and the sciences.
- February 22nd: Math Leadership: Math Minds: Transforming Mathematics Education; Held at the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences in Toronto, the purpose of this event was to inform, reflect upon, and provide opportunities for a robust Math Minds model to be introduced across Ontario learning communities. The event was geared toward Ontario researchers, school and board administrators, and policymakers.
- 24 November 2018: Fields MathEd Forum; Held at the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences in Toronto, ON. Theme is Computational Thinking in Mathematics Education and many members of our CT CoP will be presenting; See more event details here.
- 8-9 November 2018: OAME Leadership 2018: Leading in the 21st Century; Held at the St. Clair Centre for the Arts in Windsor, Ontario; Find session descriptions & registration details here (Registration deadline: October 1, 2018); Our Mathematics Leadership CoP and partners will present at the conference.
Year 2 (Sept 2017-Aug 2018)
- 21-22 August 2018: Foundation Day Institute; In partnership with Ontario’s Principals’ Council, Corwin (a publisher of PreK–12 professional learning resources) organized a two-day institute around Visible Learning research. Keynotes of John Hattie, Jenni Donohoo, John Almarode, and Olivia Amador-Valerio will contribute to professional learning about creating Visible Learning Schools. The second day was dedicated to Visible Learning Mathematics, where John Almarode talked about what works best in the teaching and learning of mathematics and how to maximize learner growth and achievement. Participants were actively engaged in doing mathematics during the session. See the event flyer for more details.
- 3-4 May 2018: OAME Annual Math Conference; Held in Toronto, Ontario at Humber College (North Campus); Members from our four CoPs attended and presented their work; Find all conference details and the full schedule on their Guidebook app.
- 27-29 April 2018: First Year University Mathematics Across Canada: Facts, Community and Vision; Conference at the Fields Institute; Our Critical Transitions CoP member, Dr. Peter Taylor, gave a Keynote Address on April 27 at 6:05 p.m.
- 17 April 2018: MKN Advisory Panel Meeting; Held at the Fields Institute; Opportunity for MKN partners to come together to discuss network updates and future plans.
- 4, 11, 18, & 25 April 2018: The Math Pod Cycle 3 – Arithmetic to Algebra: Looking for the Powerful Moments, K-8; Cathy Fosnot opened up her online platform, P2S2, for the month of April and ran an online Professional Learning Community (PLC) to accompany the weekly radio show on VoicEd Radio.
- 20 March 2018: Crossing the Divide: Exploring Critical Transition Issues from Grade 8-9 Mathematics; Held at the Fields Institute; Lead by Dr. Daniel Jarvis, Critical Transitions CoP member and Professor at the Schulich School of Education, Nipissing University. Find more meeting details here.
- 28 February – 2 March 2018: Ontario Education Research Symposium; Held at the Chelsea Hotel in Toronto; If you are attending, be sure to find us at the KNAER table and pick up some of our resources!
- 17 January – 7 February 2018: The Math Pod Phase 2; Join our Math Leadership CoP partners (MLN, ML2N, NWML2N) and educators across Ontario in this collaborative open learning opportunity! Twitter chats, podcasts, blogs, & more. Learn how you can get involved at themathpod.ca.
- 26 January 2018: MKN CoP Lead Meeting; CoPs will meet to discuss Year 2 progress, share artifacts, and discuss next steps.
- 4-10 December 2017: Hour of Math + Code; Try out our Computational Thinking CoP’s classroom-tested, curriculum-based puzzles and activities at mathnetwork.ca/future!
- 30 November 2017: KNAER Cross-Network Meeting; Held at the Fields Institute; Meeting of KNAER, its 4 networks (including the MKN), and Ministry of Education representatives.
- 4 November 2017: GECDSB Mathematics Symposium – Expertise for All; Held at Tecumseh Vista Academy in Windsor; Organized by the GECDSB Math Strategy Team and supported by our Mathematics Leadership CoP; See their event flyer for details!
- 28-29 October 2017: FNMIEAO Educator Conference; Held in London, Ontario at H.B. Beal Secondary School; several workshops will showcase the work of the Indigenous Knowledge CoP; presenters include Pamala Agawa, Ruth Beatty, and Danielle Blair (IK CoP members). See the flyer.
- 28 October 2017: The Aesthetics of Mathematical Modelling for the Classroom; Dr. Peter Taylor (Queen’s University, member of Critical Transitions CoP) will be presenting his Math9-12 work at the Fields MathEd forum at 10:35 a.m. Watch the archived video here.
- 24 October 2017: CoP Co-Lead Meeting; Held at the Fields Institute; Opportunity for CoP leads and MKN Executive to discuss work so far and future plans.
- 19-20 October 2017: Learn-to-Lead (Leadership Institute); with Cathy Fosnot, Maarten Dolk, & Janan Hamm; held in North Bay; sponsored by the MKN; see the event flyer for more information.
- 13-15 October 2017: Computational Thinking in Mathematics Education Symposium; sponsored by the Fields Institute; a ctmath.ca event organized by Immaculate Namukasa (Western) & Chantal Buteau (Brock); keynote speakers include Lyn English, Queensland University of Technology
Year 1 (Nov 2016-Aug 2017)
- 17 August 2017: Kindergarten Forum for Action: Building Mathematical Foundations for Young Children; event organized by our Critical Transitions CoP in partnership with AECEO; hosted at Guelph University (Humber Campus); keynote speaker is Dr. Jean Clinton, McMaster University.
- 14-17 August 2017: Math Culture Camp; Meeting of the Indigenous Knowledge Community of Practice; Manitoulin Island.
- 27-29 June 2017: First Networking Meeting of the Indigenous Knowledge & Mathematics Education Community of Practice; Hosted by Trent University; CoP members discussed goals, plans, and hopes going forward. Learn more about the meeting here.
- 27-31 May 2017: Canadian Society for the Study of Education Conference; Panel Discussion on “Emerging evidence from the Knowledge Network for Applied Education Research Phase 2” (MKN co-directors, OME, KNAER, and the Knowledge Network for Student Well-being)
- 11-13 May 2017: OAME Conference; Various presentations by CoP members, including featured speaker, George Gadanidis.
- 27-28 February 2017: MKN Advisory Panel Meeting, Fields Institute