COVID-19 Uncertainty Support and Resources
The MKN, through it communities of practice, is offering the following resources and support:
- Chantal Buteau (Brock University) and her students, in partnership with the Niagara CDSB, are developing math+coding activities at the Grade 9 level (coming soon).
- Online mathematics education support, in partnership with Ontario Tech STEAM3D Maker Lab
- Online Professional Development
- Online support for classes
- Social studies, coding and mathematics integration program, in partnership with the St. James CHS in Wellington CDSB
- Lesson plans by grade level for Primary, Junior and Intermediate. Some lesson plans were developed from a collaboration between the MKN and London District Catholic School Board.
- Count on MKN Session: weekly 15 minute drop-in video sessions designed to help teachers and parents understand how to implement the lessons and to allow you to ask any questions you may have!
- Peter Taylor (Queen’s University) and his team are developing HS math activities with wonder, beauty and creativity. See https://www.rabbitmath.ca/
- Webinar Series: Revitalizing Star Knowledge, hosted by the First Nations, Métis & Inuit Education Association of Ontario.
- Next series on June 3: We Come From the Stars Part 5
- Recordings of the webinars can be found on the FNMIEAO Youtube channel.
- ALGOMA CONNECT PROGRAM! FREE Math Tutoring For Students in Grades 11 & 12 in collaboration with the ML CoP.
- Financial literacy lesson plans for Grades 6-8 related to living in the time of Covid-19! Developed by Tanya Demjanenko (TDSB) and Dragana Martinovic (U. Windsor).
- A 3-week virtual summer program for students at risk, and their teachers, in partnership with the Greater Essex CDSB.
Click below to access more resources from our four Communities of Practice!
Math Leadership CoP Resources
- GECDSB Math Task Force Learning Briefs:
- School Board-University Research Exchange (SURE) network’s “Research to Practice” videos:
Computational Modelling CoP Resources
- Computational Modelling in Mathematics Education. Researching the use of computational thinking in mathematics education, from pre-school to undergraduate mathematics, and in mathematics teacher education.
- Math + Code ‘Zine. We love math. We love coding. And we love the power of the two combined!
- ScratchMaths (UK). supporting computational and mathematical thinking through programming (Education Endowment Fund)
Critical Transitions CoP Resources
- Choose a Path that Includes Math! Get to know their online toolkit for Ontario teens and parents who are exploring choices for high school math courses. Visit them at mathpathontario.ca/home.php and check out the video overview.
- Mathematics Learning Trajectories. See the 5-minute video clip with slides by Dr. Douglas Clements, who explains the power and research base of his and Dr. Julie Sarama’s learning trajectories and their new free math web tool (birth to age 8) for educators, parents, curriculum developers, and PD facilitators.
- Development and Research in Early Math Education (DREME) Website. Link: dreme.stanford.edu
- The Robertson Program Website. Inquiry-based Teaching in Mathematics and Science. Link: dreme.stanford.edu
- Mathematics for Young Children Website
- Mathematics for Young Children Literature Review
- Cathy Bruce Publications
Indigenous Knowledge CoP Resources
More resources coming soon!
To access our general MKN resources, click below.
Video Overview of the MKN
Want to stay updated? Join our mailing list (right side of page) and/or follow us on Twitter @mknrcm to receive regular updates about new resources, activities, and more!